Last week, Isla and I came home from a busy morning running errands. She’d been sleeping in her pram on the walk home, but woke up as soon as we got in. I asked her what she wanted for lunch, and she went from really drowsy to wide awake in 0.2 seconds flat: “pancakes, mummy!”. Not being one to deny anyone a pancake, ever, I obliged. Because I’ve trying to maintain our healthy (mostly) diets alongside our recent crazy schedules, I decided to make savoury buckwheat pancakes, filled with vegan cheese and served with a side of sliced cucumbers. A recipe that fits my nutrition needs and multi-tasks as a toddler-friendly dish, these all-vegan buckwheat pancakes tick all the boxes.
Alongside buckwheat, the recipe also uses chickpea flour for a protein boost and to help bind everything, and a dash of season-all to add extra flavour. Depending on the size of your pan, you’ll get two – three pancakes out of these quantities, but you can easily double or triple them if you have more people to feed. Make sure you oil your pan well and give the buckwheat pancakes a chance to cook all the way through, otherwise you might struggle with the flipping.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 dash season-all
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup grated vegan cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together buckwheat and chickpea flours and baking powder. Chickpea flour tends to clump, so make sure you do this thoroughly before adding the liquid in the next step.
- Add non-dairy milk and water, whisking until you have a thick but still fully liquid batter. If you feel like your pancake batter is too stiff, add extra water by the tablespoon.
- Whisk in the season-all until just incorporated.
- Preheat and oil your pan.
- Add roughly 1/3 cup batter to your pan and start cooking your pancake. When lots of bubbles have popped, you're ready to flip!
- After you've flipped the buckwheat pancake, add 2 - 3 tbsp of grated vegan cheese onto the top and fold the pancake in half. It should be more or less cooked through be now, so you're just waiting for the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese has melted, serve immediately.