If you’ve been reading this blog for the past month, then you might know I’ve an ongoing love-affair with the pale white blocks of deliciousness that are otherwise described as tofu. It’s a good source of protein, it’s low in fat and, if not consumed in ridiculously large amounts, pretty healthy. My only grievance is that it’s starting to get more and more expensive. Please, retailers, listen to my plea and stop asking for £2.00 for a single block of tofu!But this post is not about how hard it is becoming to afford tofu. This is a Tofu Appreciation Post, and I’m going to tell you my top 5 ways to use it!
5. You already know that I really like Tofu Stir Fry.
4. Another savoury version, but this time more breakfast appropriate: scrambled
eggs tofu. Breakfast is the most important (and best) meal of the day. Scrambled Tofu on toast is possibly not the most convenient of weekday breakfasts, but it’s a lovely way to start your Sunday!
3. As an egg replacer. There are plenty of charts floating around the internet to help you figure out which replacers work best when, but I find that (silken) tofu works best in slightly thicker batters, and when replacing only half of the eggs required. I find that replacing the other half with soya yoghurt (my all-time favourite egg replacement) or commercial egg replacer gives the best results.
2. In bolognese. I know that there are plenty of pre-packaged soya mince products out there, but well-seasoned, crumbled tofu does the job brilliantly.
1. Silken tofu makes a brilliant chocolate mousse. I avoided this concept for years, thinking it would surely produce a disgusting result, but when I finally managed to get myself to try it (In Vegan Pie In The Sky‘s Chocolate Mousse Tart recipe) I was completely gobsmacked. Don’t believe me? Try my recipe for Mint Chocolate Mousse.
What are your best tofu-including recipes? I’d love to see your links :)